MCI Launches 2013 Sustainability Report
Geneva, 26th June 2014. MCI today launched its 2013 Sustainability Report ‘Where the Future Begins,’ the first sustainability report by an international events management company to use the advanced GRI G4 reporting framework to measure and report on economic, environmental and social performance.
Focusing on the triple bottom line of people, planet, profit, the report highlights MCIs approach to stakeholder engagement and materiality, priority issues, and the progress made and challenges encountered since MCI became the first events management company to sign the UN Global Compact in 2007.
Tracking the results of MCI’s internal sustainability strategy and external sustainability services, the report showcases the following key achievements:
- The average performance for the MCI office scorecard, a strategic management tool to benchmark local office sustainability performance, rose from 54% to 72%.
- Use of the MCI Supplier Code of Conduct increased, with 83% of key international partners now subscribing to the MCI sustainability policy, and MCI’s Event Safety and Sustainability (ESST) Tool was used to assess 78% of all MCI-organised events.
- In 2013, the MCI Group organised 152 events for clients within the sustainability and energy sector. Notable events included the UN Global Compact Leaders Summit, the GRI Global Conference on Sustainability and Reporting and the Responsible Business Forum, which won the prestigious IMEX-GMIC Green Award in May 2014.
- Key consulting projects included working with the Singapore Government to develop sustainability guidelines for the meetings and events industry, consulting software giant Symantec to integrate sustainability into their events, and guiding two Las Vegas Sands properties to become the first integrated resorts in the world to receive the ISO20121 Event Sustainability Management System certification.
- MCI talents volunteered a total number of 3,380 hours, raising over €330,000, supporting 86 community projects and bringing the total amount of money raised for charity since 2009 to €1.3 million.
"MCI continues to be a leader in advancing sustainability throughout the meetings and event industry," said Karl Pfalzgraf, Vice President of Sustainability Services for iCompli, the organisation providing independent third party assurance of the report’s sustainability content. "MCI's 2013 report raises the bar for sustainability reporting in the events industry by adopting G4 -- the latest version of the GRI sustainability reporting framework -- and incorporating third party assurance. The report is noteworthy for its balanced assessment of MCI's achievements as well as challenges dealing with carbon emissions, waste and the value chain."
"The reporting and assurance process was incredibly valuable and is pushing us to improve and innovate with our sustainability programme,” said Guy Bigwood, MCI Group Sustainability Director. “We are now moving to an exciting next phase in which we will go far beyond focusing on reducing our negative impacts and scale the integration of sustainability into our business model resulting in greater social, economic and environmental impact for MCI and society.”
Please visit www.mcisustainability.com to read the full report.
For more information please contact:
Group PR Manager
+41 (0) 22 33 99 549