Situation: In February 2018, heavy rain caused sudden and extreme gas leaks in several gas lines, causing one home in a northwest Dallas, Texas neighborhood to explode. More than 2,500 homes were impacted by the Atmos Energy gas leak and subsequent outage: thousands of residents were forced to leave their homes and find alternate accommodations until the situation was resolved and it was safe for them to return. After realizing the severity of the situation, MCI Dallas was approached by the Dallas Convention & Visitors Bureau to help facilitate hotel accommodations for the displaced residents.
MCI USA Response: MCI Dallas activated a dedicated, toll-free phone number for affected residents to call to book rooms at local hotels and devoted its own 10-person customer service team to manage phones for the next 48 hours. In addition, MCI Dallas’s senior leadership team visited designated emergency shelter locations to assist residents in booking hotel room nights.
Results: Within five hours, MCI Dallas identified and contacted more than 80 local hotels to help with the crisis. A total of 34 hotels ultimately worked with MCI to make more than 1,000 room nights available for the affected families.