Event Manager / Assistant Event Manager
At MCI, we believe that when people come together, magic happens. That is why we have been bringing people together through innovative meetings, events, congresses and association management since 1987.
Through face-to-face, hybrid and digital experiences, we help companies and associations to strategically engage and activate their target audiences, building the dedicated online and offline communities they need to strengthen their brands and boost their performance.
Plan, develop, manage and deliver meetings and events programmes in the private sector in an international environment, offering the full range of MCI event solutions. Effectively manage projects/events by creating and executing them against project timelines based on priorities, resource availability, and other project requirements
Project Management (40%)
- Acquire detailed knowledge about all project parameters at all times, independent of size, scope and team size
- Hands-on management of projects attributed to them, including planning, budgeting, quality of work, client relationship, etc.
- Able to provide the full range of MCI services to current and potential clients.
- Participate in event debriefs to gather client feedback and market intelligence
- Draft proposals which meet client needs/expectations based on solid research & accurate information; providing competitive and transparent pricing with focus on the client need
- Provide support as required, in the interest of MCI
- Assume responsibility in ensuring key processes are followed & adhered to
- Meet and improve standards of excellence
- Communicate key parameters & threats and actively seek & recommend corrective action to Project Director/stakeholders
- Ensure ESST assessment is conducted on all events
- Implement sustainability management practices/plan
- Implement risk management techniques to minimise disruption and deal with problems that arise proactively
- Adjust and remain flexible to changing situations (embrace change) and overcome obstacles/difficulties
Leadership & Relationship Management (30%)
Financial Management (20%)
- Represent MCI and participating at selected industry events, exhibitions, social events
- Plan, design and delegate operational roles within event/ project teams based on their skills and expertise.
- Prepare and conduct effective (mid-year) annual appraisal of team
- Recognise team’s potential and effort, empower and mentor them to develop further
- Maintain good internal communication within the event / project teams
- Conflict management and resolution
- Maintain enthusiasm and professional standards within their event / project teams
- Able to build high level client credibility, trust and integrity
- Mentor and coaching team / project members
- Regular and frequent communication with clients to monitor client satisfaction
- Address and find appropriate resolution of client complaints
- Build and maintain the continual development of relationships with suppliers, negotiating the best price and deals, setting up credit agreements, raising invoices, attending supplier visits to offices where appropriate.
Administration and IT (10%)
- Ensure the profitability of the events and projects, managing and verifying all income and expenditure
- Accurately calculate amounts to be invoiced and paid
- Calculate budget for a meeting or event (allocate budget amounts for meeting or events categories/activities)
- Create accurate payment schedules (visibility on planned receivables, payables) which align with signed contracts and protect MCIs cash flowMaintain accurate budget versions updated at all times (weekly/monthly)
- Maintaining and updating of managerial tools such as PMT, Clockwork and all appropriate files and databases
- Articulate the business case and added value of MCI-owned tools and systems to external stakeholders
- Recommend adjustment changes to systems, forms, documents, procedures, policies, etc., that will increase effectiveness of the project(s)
Descriptions of the Relationships
The Event Manager/ Assistant Event Manager reports to the Director, Assistant Event Director regarding project and event objectives, budgets, resource planning & client management. The Event Manager/ Assistant Event Manager works with the support of a team that may include Event Assistants, Event Coordinators and other operational support staff /sales team.
- A minimum of 3 years of experience in the meetings industry demonstrating consistent progression in roles and responsibilities
- Experience in planning, developing and delivering meeting and event programs in the private sector in an international environment
- A proven track record of managing and motivating teams and delivering small- and large scale projects in a service environment
- Traveling onsite inspections and accompanying events as required
- Excellent local knowledge of hotels, venues and sites for international clients
- Leadership skills
- Good written and verbal communication
- Ability to make decisions and to prioritize tasks as well as remain calm under stress
- Problem solving skills
- Ability to work both autonomously and as part of a team
- Excellent inter-personal skills
- Ability to motivate and coach people
- Experience with management and operating of budgets / financial control
- Professional education in Event Management, Hotel Management, Tourism or another relevant domain
- Excellent personal presentation
We are not just offering jobs. These are challenging career development positions for talented candidates who have a commitment for excellence, are team oriented and focused on delivering a quality service to our clients.
We are committed to building and nurturing a dynamic workforce which thrives on delivering the best experience for our clients.
MCI’s commitment to employee development is clearly demonstrated by the MCI Institute, MCI’s in-house learning provider.
We embrace sustainability, recognizing the many ways it generates value for both our organisation and our clients.
Our diverse global talents represent our most precious resource and this is reflected in our approach to talent management, which is guided by our core values:
- Living by Growth
- Promoting Entrepreneurship
- Believing in People
- Building Fair Relations